Health and Safety Supervisor
Position: Health and Safety Supervisor
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Employment Type: Full-time
Role Purpose: As part of the Health and Safety Team, this position supports our Hatcheries and Brampton Facility to ensure legislative and Plant compliance with occupational health and safety, as well as, to assess, standardize safe work methods and recognize high impact behaviors to achieve a world class health and safety program.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & ACTIVITIES:
- Assist in the reduction of Health and Safety risks and hazards.
- Working with union and non-union team members
- Working with the HR team and collaborating on key initiatives, claims management, Return to work programs and other opportunities
- Ensure Pre-Start Health and Safety Reviews (PSRs) are properly completed including written reports on the construction, addition or installation of a new equipment, structure, protective element or process, or modifications to an existing apparatus, structure, protective element or process; such reports are to detail the measures (steps, actions or engineering controls) necessary to bring the construction, addition, installation or modification into compliance with the applicable regulations.
- Develops and constructs Job Safety Analysis (JSA) and Safe Work Procedures (SWP) identifying the basic job steps and tasks and their associated hazards and risks, and develops safe operating procedures and hazard controls.
- Maintain OHS metrics and documentation with the ability to present this information to applicable parties
- Able to analyze such metrics to identify needed areas of improvement or opportunities
- Design and deliver training programs for workers, management and Safety Committee members to comply with legislative requirements and improve Health, Safety, Emergency and Security.
- Review and monitor on-site Contractor OHS programs and compliance with applicable regulations.
- Personally respond to all serious accidents to ensure that proper investigation and follow up is completed.
- Lead our JHSC as a Management Co-Chair
- Responsible for Supervising a small team consisting of a H&S Coordinator and H&S Specialist
- Ensure records and documentation are kept to protect Company interests
- Responding to emergencies after hours
- People Management: organize and supervise the activities and work of a team of subordinates to ensure that all assigned work activity is carried out in an efficient and procedurally compliant manner.
- Policies, Processes & Procedures: adhere/comply with company policies and procedures; follow all relevant departmental policies, processes, standard operating procedures and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner; assist in the development, implementation and maintenance of improved department specific processes, policies and procedures and; recommend, develop and implement enhancements and improvements to departmental policies and procedures
Necessary Knowledge and Experience:
- 5-8 years of experience in progressively responsible H&S roles with at least 3 years in a Supervisory capacity in a large facility
- Experience with union and non-union environments is essential
- Superior knowledge of machine guarding and lock out tag out of manufacturing equipment
- Previous experience working with regulatory bodies such as the Ministry of Labor or Ministry of the Environment
- Proven ability and able to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment within specified time frames
- Experience effectively managing WSIB claims
- Knowledge of compliance and regulatory training of all personnel working onsite
- Reinforce company Values
- Maintain positive influential relations with employees, management & external enforcement agencies
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organization and analytical Skills. Very detail orientated with proven project management skills.
- Strong knowledge of business and plant processes for industrial
- Farming industries knowledge is a strong asset
- Computer skills – MS. Office, desktop applications, Health & Safety applications
- Ability to design and evaluate effective training programs
- Able to develop and implement Job Hazard Analysis program
- Working knowledge of food and meat plant regulatory standards (CFIA, etc.), GMP, HACCP, BRC, food safety, food quality, etc.;
- Advanced knowledge of knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), WHMIS, and all other workplace H&S regulations;
- Analytical, with problem-identification and problem-solving capabilities;
Education and Certification Requirements:
- Post-Secondary Diploma in a related field required.
- Completed a recognized Occupational Health & Safety Program
- Completed or working towards a professional safety designation is desired, but not required.
- Building Trust – Builds strong relationships on a foundation of trust, loyalty and authenticity.
- Driving for Results – Relentlessly pursues quantifiable and measurable results: identifies areas for improvement and executes changes as necessary.
- Communication & Listening – Encourages open and honest communication with the team, communicates messages clearly and concisely and listens attentively to others.
- Initiative – Proactively seeks new opportunities and challenges; takes ownership and accountability for enhancing results or minimizing problems.
- Builds Networks – Builds strong relationships with peers, partners and key stakeholders, cultivating meaningful connections.
- Awareness & Insight – Assesses one’s own abilities, understands how actions impact perceptions and thrives within our culture, climate and organization at all levels.
- Various types of environments relating to temperature, floor surfaces, stairs, catwalks, silos etc.
- Working around live birds with processing areas
- Outdoor environments
- Up to 30% of travel will be required to various locations, but based out of our main Brampton facility
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit applications by email to email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line. We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.