Live Logistics Planning Manager
Position: Live Logistics Planning Manager
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Employment Type: Full-time
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages third party transport ensuring all transporters are in compliance with Maple Lodge Farms’ policies and procedures for live bird transport, and animal welfare requirements.
- Manages third party catching, ensuring all catchers are in compliance with Maple Lodge Farms’ policies and procedures for live bird handling, and animal welfare requirements.
- Gathers documentation for all hen loads that exceed mortality threshold of 4%.
- Manages Live Logistics Planner, ensuring compliance with animal welfare standards, departmental goals and collective bargaining agreement (for example, driver sequencing) as related to the daily Live-Haul pick up Schedule.
- Primary contact for hen producers
- Coordinates all hen schedules from producers to optimize utilization of plant production hours while maintaining and growing relationships with producers.
- Schedules all hen deliveries for daily production.
- Follows up with producers on matters such as bird quality, quantity, sizing, barn locations and depopulation dates.
- Communicates special flock requirements (i.e. organic, vegetable grain fed, breast injected, light breeders, bird type) with internal (i.e. operations, supply and demand, sales and procurement)
- Attends internal (i.e.: SAPP, R2) and industry meetings, as required.
- Acts as back up for department management team.
- Responsible for detailed review and receiving of advanced/incoming documentation for hens
- Maintains and distributes 8 week forecasts, quarterly schedules, and hen volumes for internal customers (i.e. operations supply and demand, sales and procurement)
- Assesses, responds to and ensures resolution of any third-party related breakdowns (equipment) identifying root cause and corrective action/prevention plan.
- Accountable for ensuring all changes to schedule (i.e. delays etc.) are communicated to Director of Live Logistics and Hen Procurement, production, transporters, catchers and producers.
- Coaches and manages performance management of all direct reports (Live Logistics Planner, third party catching, and third party transporter) and using progressive discipline, as required.
- Sets team targets and expectations in order to achieve departmental goals within budget
- Allocates hen equipment by ensuring dolly units are utilized correctly for Customs, Brokers, CFIA, USDA and third party transporters.
- Ensures that all mechanical problems with dolly trailers are addressed and that all units assigned to MLF and third party transporters are safe (i.e. follows preventative maintenance schedule, write ups)
- The above duties are representative but not all inclusive.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in related field is a minimum.
- A minimum experience of three years in managing livestock transportation and logistics preferably in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of the Health of Animals Act/Regulations and humane poultry handling procedures.
- CLT (Canadian Livestock Transport) certification is an asset.
- Working knowledge of poultry industry – ideally fowl and white rock.
- Working knowledge of GMP, HACCP, BRC, food safety, food quality, humane handling practices etc.
- Working knowledge of OHSA, WHMIS, etc.
- Well organized, collaborative, detailed oriented, innovative and diverse thinker who excels in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient problem identification and problem solving capabilities.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, etc.).
- Building Trust – Builds strong relationships on a foundation of trust, loyalty and authenticity.
- Driving for Results – Relentlessly pursues quantifiable and measurable results: identifies areas for improvement and executes changes as necessary.
- Communication & Listening – Encourages open and honest communication with the team, communicates messages clearly and concisely and listens attentively to others.
- Initiative – Proactively seeks new opportunities and challenges; takes ownership and accountability for enhancing results or minimizing problems.
- Builds Networks – Builds strong relationships with peers, partners and key stakeholders, cultivating meaningful connections.
- Awareness & Insight – Assesses one’s own abilities, understands how actions impact perceptions and thrives within our culture, climate and organization at all levels.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit applications by email to email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line. We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.