QA Manager, Food Safety & Quality Programs (15-month contract)
Position: QA Manager, Food Safety & Quality Programs (15-month contract)
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Employment Type: Full-time, temporary
Role Purpose: develops, maintains, communicates, enforces and enhances the HACCP/Food Safety and Quality programs and standards ensuring that they are in conformance with the regulatory, legality, quality, food safety and customer requirements by managing the monitoring and validation of the entire system.
* Health and dental benefits will be provided to the successful candidate.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & ACTIVITIES:
- Responsible for the management of the food safety and quality program documentation system; including procedures, policies, forms, logs, HACCP plans, pre-requisites, HACCP re-assessments, risk assessments, deviations, corrective and preventative actions, training materials and schedules.
- Ensures all related documents are comprehensive, up to date to ensure accuracy and compliance to the company policies and procedures
- Ensures reassessments of HACCP plan/s whenever there is a change to program, process, procedure, ingredients, equipment, industry philosophy or technology and that the HACCP system is assessed by the HACCP team for completeness and effectiveness at least once per year.
- Develop and implement new/revised procedures as required using the necessary tools, equipment, and methods to ensure continuous improvement.
- Act as a liaison between CFIA and MLF, fostering and maintaining positive relationships with CFIA inspectors.
- Act as the primary plant contact for local CFIA matters requiring immediate corrective action and bi-weekly meetings. Responsible for all formal written correspondence with the CFIA and ensure that all CVS related tasks are corrected and implemented as necessary.
- Collaborate with CFIA Inspectors, Management, Operations, and clients to provide guidance and leadership in situations where deviations have occurred or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or quality. When non-compliance with written programs occurs, ensure that corrective action is taken and preventative measures are implemented where required.
- Assist with customer and consumer complaints and investigation as required.
- Prepare presentation and lead monthly Food Safety and Quality meetings and conduct Food Safety and HACCP orientation / re-fresher training to MLF employees.
- Manage QA participation, as required, at plant trials, in support of new or modified products, new equipment installation, and quality improvements. Directly participate in risk assessments for new product development.
- People Management: provides overall management of a team or business area and includes management of individuals indirectly through subordinate supervisors or managers; establish goals and priorities and manage the activities and work of subordinates; evaluate their performance by providing formal and informal feedback to ensure that all work within a specific area is carried out in an efficient manner and in accordance; responsible for all aspects of Human Resources functions for team including hiring, onboarding, performance management and disciplinary matters; and develop team capabilities through continue on-the-job and formal training opportunities and coaching.
- Budgeting: prepare, recommend and manage a budget for the direct area of responsibility by conducting analysis and preparing data to support requested budget; monitor the financial performance of area of responsibility against approved budget so that areas of unsatisfactory performance are identified and rectified promptly and potential performance improvement opportunities are capitalized on.
- Policies, Processes & Procedures: adhere/comply with company policies and procedures; recommend, develop and implement enhancements and improvements to departmental policies and procedures; and ensure that all employees under position leadership, follow all relevant departmental policies, processes, standard operating procedures and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner.
Necessary Knowledge and Experience:
- 5-7 years of experience working in quality assurance and/or research and development in the food manufacturing industry (preferably in meat and a unionized environment);
- Working knowledge of food and meat plant regulatory standards (CFIA, etc.), GMP, HACCP, BRC, food safety, food quality, etc.;
- Working knowledge of knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), WHMIS, and all other workplace H&S regulations;
- Ability to work / excel in a fast-paced environment where attention to detail and effective multi-tasking is essential;
- Direct experience in the development of HACCP plans.
- Knowledge of process improvement tools; General computer skills (e.g. MS Office, MS Word, MS Excel, Sharepoint).
- Undergraduate degree in Scientific or Technical field (i.e. Food Science/ Chemistry/ Microbiology) required.
- HACCP Certification
- Building Trust – Builds strong relationships on a foundation of trust, loyalty and authenticity.
- Driving for Results – Relentlessly pursues quantifiable and measurable results: identifies areas for improvement and executes changes as necessary.
- Communication & Listening – Encourages open and honest communication with the team, communicates messages clearly and concisely and listens attentively to others.
- Initiative – Proactively seeks new opportunities and challenges; takes ownership and accountability for enhancing results or minimizing problems.
- Builds Networks – Builds strong relationships with peers, partners and key stakeholders, cultivating meaningful connections.
- Awareness & Insight – Assesses one’s own abilities, understands how actions impact perceptions and thrives within our culture, climate and organization at all levels.
- Building High Performance Teams – Recruits and retains high performing talent, sets high standards for performance and ultimately creates a collaborative culture.
- Coaching & Mentoring Others – Supports the growth of others by providing regular feedback, fostering connections, and formulating individualized development plans.
Working Condition: Office-based
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line. We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.