Quality Assurance Technician (Animal Welfare) – 12 Month Contract
Position: Quality Assurance Technician (Animal Welfare)
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
Interested in joining a private family-owned, Canadian business? Maple Lodge Farms is Canada’s largest poultry processor. We operate to the latest in technological, health and safety and quality standards. With rapid expansion over the years, and continued innovation and investment in growth – we’re looking for committed and star players to join our team!
Role purpose: As a steward of animal welfare, responsible for monitoring and maintaining live bird welfare in Maple Lodge Farms bird holding facilities throughout the production cycle and verifying that animal welfare practices are compliant to the MLF Animal Welfare Program.
Shift: Monday – Friday; 6:00am – 2:30pm
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining live bird welfare in bird holding facilities from the time live birds are received, through to their transfer to slaughter.
- Monitors incoming loads for bird condition, truck unloading process dead birds on arrival (DOAs) evaluation and disposal.
- Monitors and records bird condition on the Live Bird Monitoring Report on an hourly basis during holding.
- Reports any issues with live loads to Live Haul Dispatch and ensures that distressed loads are prioritized in slaughter sequence.
- Monitors and records all assigned tasks and completes the relevant documents/records in a timely manner.
- Remote Video Auditing of the key elements of the Animal Welfare Program.
- Verifies that plant practices and/or product related to assigned plant area are compliant to the customer and Company’s requirements and recommend solutions to obtain the best quality products. Follow up with appropriate parties to ensure that corrective actions are taken where the product does not meet MLF and/or customer requirements. Provides information and recommends possible solutions that will help management to correct identified issues and work towards future improvements related the AW program.
- Monitors the assigned area (department) to ensure compliance with Company’s Good Manufacturing Practices and records the results as well as corrective actions, if deviations occur.
- Liaises with CFIA inspection staff during the course of CFIA inspection/investigation.
- Provides daily information to the QA Supervisor and/or Manager with respect to results and progress in the area where assigned in the plant.
- Acts as a backup for outdoor monitoring of birds.
- Overall support of the Animal Welfare Program and QA Technicians.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Previous work experience working with livestock;
- Comfortable working with animals year round;
- Must have strong tolerance of a farm environment (scents, animal feces, muck, weather, etc.);
- Analytical, with problem-identification and problem-solving capabilities;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where attention to detail and effective multi-tasking is essential.
- Self-starter, well organized, detail oriented and team player.
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer Literacy.
- Knowledge of the Health of Animals Act and CFIA humane poultry handling procedures;
- Working knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), WHMIS, Loss Control, etc.
Education and Certification Requirements:
- A minimum of three (3) years of quality assurance and/or research and development experience in food industry or agriculture, preferably meat, and in a unionized environment.
- University degree preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Plant based, Outside Conditions~5 -10% of time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line. We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.