Senior Product Developer
Position: Senior Product Developer
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Employment Type: Full-time
Role Purpose: Responsible for independently and effectively executing Product Development projects, including continuous improvement initiatives for all current products and associated processes.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & ACTIVITIES
- Key contributor within Product Launch Project team in the development of retail and foodservice products from concept ideation through to product launch.
- Understand the overall company strategic initiatives and goals and the role New Product Development plays.
- Provide technical support and/or guidance to Product Developers and other departments as required.
- Manage multiple projects/tasks concurrently as well as plan and prioritize workload
- Work independently, with guidance only in complex situations (e.g., when decisions have functional or organizational impact)
- Research and develop new product formulations and recipes based on product concepts.
- Work in collaboration with finance to create a product cost.
- Coordinate, execute and document small to large scale plant trials. Report results and suggest improvements.
- Swiftly execute effective problem solving techniques in plant situations. Investigate and resolve problems by identifying the root cause and communicate necessary changes.
- Conduct and analyze sensory product evaluations to guide new product development and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Coordinate shelf life and analytical testing. Analyze results.
- Create final production SOPs for internal products and for co-packers. Provide technical information to customers and ensure their systems are up to date with product information
- Complete all paperwork as outlined in the PLP Process.
- Improvement of existing products and formulations with respect to improved processes, cost reductions, flavour enhancements and customer feedback.
- Actively collaborate, build and leverage relationships across functional teams to achieve established shared objectives, partnering with team members to develop key tasks and project plans for timely completion of goals
- Develop and maintain strong, positive relationships with co-packers, equipment and ingredient suppliers.
- Continually work to achieve a higher knowledge of poultry processing techniques and stay abreast of industry trends, unique flavour profiles and market changes.
- Policies, Processes & Procedures: follow all relevant departmental policies, processes, standard operating procedures and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner.
Necessary Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in the food industry with a CPG company; preferably with a focus on innovation
- A solid understanding of meat chemistry, analytical testing, formulations and processing used in food manufacturing is a strong asset
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate others
- Excellent communication, organization, project management and problem solving skills
- Self-starter, with a high level of initiative and attention to detail is a must.
- Effective/strong presentation skills and competency with Microsoft Office applications
- Expertise in the complete product development process from concept state to commercialization
- Working knowledge of food and meat plant regulatory standards including CFIA, GMP’s, HACCP, BRC and food safety as well as WHMIS standards
Education and Certification Requirements: Post-Secondary Degree (B.Sc) or equivalent in Food Science or related field is required.
- Competencies: Building Trust – Builds strong relationships on a foundation of trust, loyalty and authenticity.
- Driving for Results – Relentlessly pursues quantifiable and measurable results: identifies areas for improvement and executes changes as necessary.
- Communication & Listening – Encourages open and honest communication with the team, communicates messages clearly and concisely and listens attentively to others.
- Initiative – Proactively seeks new opportunities and challenges; takes ownership and accountability for enhancing results or minimizing problems.
- Builds Networks – Builds strong relationships with peers, partners and key stakeholders, cultivating meaningful connections.
- Awareness & Insight – Assesses one’s own abilities, understands how actions impact perceptions and thrives within our culture, climate and organization at all levels.
Working Condition: Office-based and manufacturing facility with refrigerated temperatures. Minimal travel will be required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit applications by email to email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line. We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.