Quality Assurance Specialist – Animal Welfare
Position: Quality Assurance Specialist – Animal Welfare
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Employment Type: Full-time
Facilitate projects related to Animal Welfare throughout the value chain (hatchery through slaughter). Supervise Bird Monitoring team
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & ACTIVITIES:
- Plan, coordinate and direct Animal Welfare (AW) and Foreign Animal Disease (FAD) programs designed to ensure continuous production of products consistent with established standards. Assess and react to immediate animal welfare concerns and follow up to implement preventative measures
- Develop new AW program content as needed for additional segments of the business. Participate in continuous improvement processes related to AW programs
- Maintain and ensure compliance with internal control systems by reviewing records, reports, operating practices and documentation and updating audit programs and questionnaires and recommending new policies and procedures as necessary
- Conduct internal audits related to AW Program (hatchery, farms, catching/transport, holding and slaughter) to ensure that the written program is accurate and being followed. Document audit results and findings and communicate to management in a final report. Discuss findings with auditees
- Ensure that all related records are completed and filed properly and any necessary corrective actions are taken as per the MLF AW Program
- Comply with national and international AW and FAD requirements by studying existing and new related legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management on required actions
- Conduct training for new employees and refresher training for existing employees to achieve superior results in employee performance and compliance with AW and FAD programs
- Participate/lead third-party audits related to AW programs as needed
- Maintain all related documents to ensure that they are comprehensive, accurate and compliant with all other company policies and procedures
- Back up QA Manager in DOA Investigation process as needed
- People Supervision:
- Organize and supervise the activities and work of a small team of subordinates (Bird Monitors) to ensure that all assigned work activity is carried out in an efficient and procedurally compliant manner.
- Provide formal and informal feedback to subordinates to ensure their continuous development and overall contribution to the achievement of Maple Lodge Farms business strategy
- Policies, Processes & Procedures
- Follow all relevant departmental policies, processes, standard operating procedures and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner
- Assist in the development, implementation, and maintenance of improved department specific processes, policies, and procedures
SAFETY, QUALITY, ENVIRONMENT & BRC ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Promote and comply with all Maple Lodge Farms Health & Safety, Quality Assurance, and Environmental Management policies, procedures and controls to ensure a healthy and safe work environment.
- Comply with Good Manufacturing Practices laid out by the company.
- Actively participate in all internal and external audits
- Investigate, find the root cause, determine corrective action and/or preventative measures and follow up on any deviations noted while performing assigned tasks
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in livestock production/animal welfare (commercial or research-based; preferably layer and/or breeder birds)
- Project management experience.
- Strong experience in developing and maintaining Quality Assurance programs, HACCP systems, and SOPs.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment while organizing and prioritizing workload.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENT:
- Post-Secondary diploma in a related field
- PAACO certification an asset
- Building Trust – Builds strong relationships on a foundation of trust, loyalty, and authenticity.
- Driving for Results – Relentlessly pursues quantifiable and measurable results: identifies areas for improvement and executes changes as necessary.
- Communication & Listening – Encourages open and honest communication with the team, communicates messages clearly and concisely and listens attentively to others.
- Initiative – Proactively seeks new opportunities and challenges; takes ownership and accountability for enhancing results or minimizing problems.
- Builds Networks – Builds strong relationships with peers, partners, and key stakeholders, cultivating meaningful connections.
- Awareness & Insight – Assesses one’s own abilities, understands how actions impact perceptions and to thrive within our culture, climate, and organization at all levels.
Plant/Office based 50-75% of the time, offsite visits 25-50% of the time (hatcheries, catching, farms)
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.