- 1 pkg or 1 lb (500 g) Maple Lodge Farms Extra Lean Ground Chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) tomato sauce
- 4 crusty Italian rolls, split
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) thinly sliced fresh basil
1Gently mix together ground chicken, egg, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Roll into 16 meatballs.
2Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook meatballs in batches for 5 to 8 minutes or until browned all over. Stir in sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened and meatballs are cooked through and tender.
3Preheat broiler to high. Position rack in center of oven. Open rolls; place cut sides up on foil-lined baking sheet, pressing lightly so rolls lie flat. Top with meatballs and sauce.
4Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts and bread is toasted. Sprinkle with basil before serving.
- To make sure your chicken is cooked through, look for an internal temperature reading of 180°F (82°C) for a whole chicken, and 165°F (74°C) for ground poultry, chicken pieces and cuts.
- Add arugula, pickled hot peppers, roasted peppers or olives to subs if desired.
- This sandwich works well with demi baguettes or ciabatta buns.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
Keep up to date on our latest news, information and updates.
You can unsubscribe anytime.