- 1 Fresh From the Farm Whole Tied Chicken
- 2 leeks, finely chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 small fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 strips lemon peel, each about 2 inches long
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups orzo
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1In slow cooker, combine chicken, leeks, celery, carrots, thyme sprigs, lemon peel and garlic. Pour in 8 cups (2 L) water. Cover and cook on High for about 5 hours or Low for 7 hours, until chicken is starting to melt away from the bone. Remove thyme sprigs and lemon peel; discard. Remove chicken and carefully transfer to large bowl; let cool slightly.
2Using two forks, pull away chicken from bones; return to slow cooker along with orzo, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on High for 30 to 40 minutes or Low for 50 to 60 minutes until pasta is tender. Stir in lemon juice and chopped thyme. Spoon into bowls; garnish with green onions and parsley.
To make sure your chicken is cooked through, look for an internal temperature reading of 82° C for a whole chicken and 74° C for ground poultry, chicken pieces & cuts.
– Stir in 4 cups baby spinach before serving.
– For a spicy addition, sprinkle with red chili flakes.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
Keep up to date on our latest news, information and updates.
You can unsubscribe anytime.